98. Becoming an Opportunistic Optimist and Saving Our Kids from Soul-Crushing Effects of School | John Doran
John Doran(@awaytowellbeing) has been a teacher and guidance counselor for over 24 years and is the author Ways to Wellbeing,. a book about creating a positive educational experience in the 21st century which taught in over 140 schools worldwide.
John’s passionate about the transformative power of education to disrupt poverty, and help young people succeed. He’s a board member of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, a TEDx speaker and frequently called on to speak all levels of organizations, government, and educational institutions.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590574″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube
In today’s episode we discuss:
- The performance-enhancing drugs available to anyone with no negative side effects
- Ways to recreate the school system to lead to happier, healthier adults
- How John became a Board Member of the Make-A-Wish Foundation and what you can learn from his experience
- The effects of social media and connectedness on depression and mental health
- Why we’re living longer, more miserable lives than ever
- How debate could create a class of critical thinkers
- The importance of mindfulness and positive self talk on health and happiness
- What John would overhaul with existing schools power of a purposeful teacher in transforming kids lives
- How to solve hate on social media
- Why purpose and passion is the most important force there is
- The way parents, schools and society limit kids creativity and optimism
- How to become an opportunistic optimist
- Strategies to reunify our isolated, polarized world
You can listen right here on iTunes
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.
Superhuman Brain Nootropics
Daniel Schmachtenberger (prev on podcast) and the folks at Neurohacker are some of THE smartest biohackers on the planet, and their Qualia’s line of brain-enhancing nootropics make it obvious why. Get $15% off ANY order, or 50% OFF 1st order and 15% OFF ALL orders if you order a subscription with Coupon Code: DISRUPTORS. At Disruptors, we’re big on health and biohacking for a reason!