72. Seth Shostak on SETI, Space and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life | Big Picture Science
Seth Shostak (@sethshostak) is a Senior Astronomer at the SETI Institute and host of the popular weekly science radio show Big Picture Science which connect the latest research to identify emerging trends – and why they matter.
Seth has degrees in physics and astronomy from Princeton University and Caltech and a long history of research in radio astronomy and in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, or SETI. He has written more than 500 popular articles on science and technology and has authored four books including: Life in the Universe and Confessions of an Alien Hunter.
Seth is a frequent guest and commentator on radio and television. His TV appearances include Larry King Live, Colbert Report, Nightline, and countless Discovery, History Channel, and National Geographic Channel programs.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590602″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube
You can listen right here on iTunes
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- Why Seth first fell in love with astronomy
- The history of SETI and how Seth got involved
- Which answers to Fermi’s Paradox Seth finds most probable
- The problem with public support for space research
- How the race for space and ET has evolved over the years
- What happened when SETI detected an alien signal, only to be wrong
- Why artificial intelligence is a bad idea to create
- Would the government actually hide proof of alien contact
- Why the search for ET is more exciting and promising than ever
- The reason Seth thinks space exploration will mainly be a robotic endeavor
- Why Seth is somewhat worried about weaponized biotech
- The sad truth about a society on Mars
- Where life may have originated and is panspermia credible
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.