59. Why the US Has the Worst Voting System in the World | Aaron Hamlin of The Center for Election Science
Aaron Hamlin (@aaronfhamlin) is the executive director of The Center for Election Science, a non-profit focused on advancing better voting methods so the people can more meaningfully impact and benefit the world through democracy. Guess what, the US voting system was recently declared an oligarchy by a reputable Princeton study, meaning the people at large didn’t actually influence policy, even though they’re voting. We’ll get into all this and more. Aaron’s written articles for publications such as Deadspin, The Telegram, Democracy Chronicles, Independent Voter Network, Bust Magazine and been featured in Popular Mechanics, NPR, Inside Philanthropy, Reason, and MSNBC for his expertise on voting methods. On contraceptive topics, Aaron’s been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Guardian, MIT Technology Review, The New Statesman, Salon, Scientific American, Smithsonian Magazine, and dozens of others. You can also follow him on Medium where he writes about topics relating to voting, contraception, nonprofits, and philanthropy. [spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590622″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”] Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube You can listen right here on iTunes In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- How US elections work and why the system is so bad
- Why approval voting is the best system possible, and science to back it up
- The reason today’s voting system leads to worse candidates and worse outcomes
- What Trump did to influence the election and how it changes politics forever
- Why the winner take all voting increases extremism and reduce voter turnout
- How other countries think about democracy and better ways to do it
- Would random elections lead to better outcomes
- Why politics get corrupted with corporate money
- What you can do to make your vote count
- The reason Aaron is excited about clean meat
- Why better voting really is the most important problem
Make a Donation to Support The Dirsuptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.
Daniel Schmachtenberger (prev on podcast) and the folks at Neurohacker are some of THE smartest biohackers on the planet, and their Qualia’s line of brain-enhancing nootropics make it obvious why. Get $15% off ANY order, or 50% OFF 1st order and 15% OFF ALL orders if you order a subscription with Coupon Code: DISRUPTORS. At Disruptors, we’re big on health and biohacking for a reason!