49. Why 21st Century Will Be Defined by Biotech | Ramphis Castro of ScienceVest
Ramphis Castro (@jramphis) is the co-founder of ScienceVest, a venture capital fund for hard-tech and life science companies, and Impact Science Angels, an angel group focused on investing in companies that can impact 1MM+ lives. Ramphis is a Kauffman Fellow and co-Chair the NYC chapter of the Society and focused on the funding gaps for radical science companies in the US. In 2016 Ramphis was invited by the White House and was part of the US delegation with President Obama on his historic visit to Cuba. Ramphis has a diversified personal investment portfolio of companies ranging from Artificial Intelligence, Drones, Wearables, EdTech, Productivity Software, eCommerce, MarketPlaces, FinTech to Consumer Apps. He also designed and is on the investment committee for Parallel 18, a global accelerator based in Puerto Rico with a portfolio of 100+ seed/series A companies from over 40 countries across multiple verticals that have collectively raised over $40M in venture capital funding from investors from Silicon Valley, New York, and beyond. [spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590631″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”] Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube You can listen right here on iTunes In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- How trade and politics affect economies
- Why AI is so important in biotech
- What areas of synthetic biology are most promising for investors
- The reason impact investing will dominate next generation of investing
- How Cuba’s embracing capitalism and the future of startup ecosystems
- The reason science and deep tech is underfunded
- Why biotech will be the driving force of 21st century
- Why CRISPR is such a promising technology to cure incurable diseases
- Why Ramphis will probably live forever
- The sad truth about startup investing
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.
Big On Health and Human Optimization?
Designed for and by athletes and top performers like Joe Rogan, ONNIT makes top-notch supplements and workout gear. Big fan of MCT oil when I’m doing keto, their F*CK YEAH! Coffee with 2x the caffeine, grass-fed whey protein and Total Human, the all-in-one to live and perform at your best. Save 10% on ANY ORDER (except fitness equipment) with Coupon Code: disruptors