28. Cory Doctorow on The Future of Surveillance Capitalism and How to Solve It
Cory Doctorow (@doctorow) is the best selling science fiction author, blogger, and technology activist. He is the co-editor of the popular weblog Boing Boing), a contributor to many magazines, websites, and newspapers and a special consultant to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org), a non-profit civil liberties group that defends freedom in technology law, policy, standards, and treaties. He holds an honorary doctorate in computer science from the Open University (UK), where he is a Visiting Professor; he is also an MIT Media Lab Research Affiliate. In 2007, he served as the Fulbright Chair at the Annenberg Center for Public Diplomacy at the University of Southern California.
His novels have been translated into dozens of languages and are published by Tor Books, Head of Zeus (UK), Titan Books (UK) and HarperCollins (UK). He has won the Locus, Prometheus, Copper Cylinder, White Pine and Sunburst Awards, and been nominated for the Hugo, Nebula and British Science Fiction Awards.
Several of his award-winning novels include:
Cory also co-founded the open-source peer-to-peer software company OpenCola and serves on the boards and advisory boards of the Participatory Culture Foundation, the Clarion Foundation, the Open Technology Fund and the Metabrainz Foundation.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590665″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube
You can listen right here on iTunes
In our wide-ranging conversation, we cover many things, including:
- How GDPR helps and hurts the future of the internet
- The big problem with government regulation
- Where the US and Europe differ when it comes to civil liberties
- How your privacy is bought and sold, well beyond what you already know
- Why governments support corporate spying on citizens
- The future of surveillance capitalism and how to solve it
- Why corruption and special interests are jeopardizing our future
- How copyright law could crush the internet
- Why Cory is optimistic about our collective future
- How to be a prolific author, as a side-gig
- How and why citizens need to rebel/react in times of trouble
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.