163. Ethics of Automation and Utopia for Human Flourishing in World Without Work | John Danaher
John Danaher (@johndanaher) is an author, podcaster and academic and lecturer at the National University of Ireland (NUI) focused on ethical, social and legal implications of emerging technologies, and other philosophical topics.
His book, Automation and Utopia: Human Flourishing in a World Without Work cuts through some of the hype and pessimism about automation and work, making a rigorous case for techno-utopianism about the future.
On his podcast, he interviews world leaders on the confluence of Society, Ethics and Tech.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=20771002″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”true” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
In today’s episode we discuss:
- How to think about purpose in a post-work future
- Why AI automation will lead to a utopia of human flourishing
- The value of philosophy in today’s modern tech world
- Why John says we’ll never have fully autonomous vehicles
- What John thinks about a robot tax
- How robotics and AI will impact jobs and economy
- The evolution of ethics and technology changes
- Why utopia is rarely a top-down system
- How to change tech and social media for the better
- What technology is John most worried about and why
- Why we’ll need a more socialist society to survive automation
- How to deal with AI failures and tech safety
- Why we’re headed for a virtual future
- The importance of space travel and pushing the boundaries
Make a Donation to Support The DisruptorsDo you meditate? Muse is a neurofeedback (ie EEG based brain-sensing) device that helps meditators/anyone learn to control their mind and quiet the thoughts. The science is great, neurofeedback helps meditators achieve zen-level results in less time. I’m a big fan of meditation (as you know) and Muse is hooking listeners up with 15% OFF when they use our link