125. The Bioethics of Engineering Superhuman CRISPR Babies, Cloning and Bringing Back the T-Rex | Paul Root Wolpe
Paul Root Wolpe (@parowol) is the Raymond F. Schinazi Distinguished Research Chair in Jewish Bioethics, a Professor in the Departments of Medicine, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Neuroscience, and Biological Behavior, and Sociology, and the Director of the Center for Ethics at Emory University and spent 15 years as Senior Bioethicist at NASA and is now their first Chief of Bioethics. Paul sits on a number of national and international non-profit organizational boards, has testified twice to the President’s Commission on the Study of Bioethical Issues in DC. He’s a popular speaker internationally, has won the World Technology Network Award in Ethics, has been featured in a TED talk, and was profiled in the November 2011 Atlantic Magazine as a “Brave Thinker of 2011.” He is also been featured on 60 Minutes and profiled in the Science Times of the New York Times.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590479″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube
You can listen right here on iTunes
In today’s episode we discuss:
- The most important biotech ethics issues of our day
- How China’s CRISPR babies change the game for genetic engineering
- Why synthetic biology is so promising and problematic from an ethics perspective
- How to deal with black swan bioterror risks and rewards
- When we will start to see more in terms of gene therapy
- The prospect of superhumans
- Ways gene therapies can avoid issues of conventional pharma
- Why Ray Kurzweil’s wrong about the singularity
- The reason biology and AI will merge into one
- Why AI is more dangerous and uncontrollable than biotech
- The arguments against cloning
- How AI can empower individuals or inspire tyranny
- What to do about reincarnating wholly mammoth and T-Rex
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.
Big On Health and Human Optimization?
Designed for and by athletes and top performers like Joe Rogan, ONNIT makes top-notch supplements and workout gear. Big fan of MCT oil when I’m doing keto, their F*CK YEAH! Coffee with 2x the caffeine, grass-fed whey protein and Total Human, the all-in-one to live and perform at your best. Save 10% on ANY ORDER (except fitness equipment) with Coupon Code: disruptors