121. Eyes in the Sky Surveillance, Drone Warfare and the Future of Freedom | Arthur Holland Michel
Arthur Holland Michel (@writeauthor) is a writer and researcher focused on drones, surveillance, artificial intelligence, robots, the arts, immigration, and movies for topnotch publications like Wired, Vice, The Verge, Fast Company, Motherboard, Al Jazeera America, U.S. News and more. Arthur’s the author of EYES IN THE SKY, about the rise of advanced aerial surveillance technology and is the founder and co-director of the Center for the Study of the Drone, a research institute at Bard College in New York State.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590487″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube
You can listen right here on iTunes
In today’s episode we discuss:
- Where we are at with the cutting edge of drones
- The pros and cons of drone development
- How militaries are deploying drones and unmanned aircraft today
- Why lethal autonomous weapons are so dangerous but not just around the corner
- Which aspects of surveillance and privacy Arthur is most worried about and why
- The power of the press to keep governments honest
- What to think about consumer drone delivery and Amazon
- Which under-discussed industries will actually be most impacted by drones
- Why China’s expertise in facial recognition and surveillance is so troubling
- The formula for a perfect dictatorship
- Is Minority Report inevitable
- Where do our personal freedoms and privacy lie
- How someone shut down one of the world’s busiest airports with a little kid’s toy
- What Arthur thinks about social media surveillance
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.
Big On Health and Human Optimization?
Designed for and by athletes and top performers like Joe Rogan, ONNIT makes top-notch supplements and workout gear. Big fan of MCT oil when I’m doing keto, their F*CK YEAH! Coffee with 2x the caffeine, grass-fed whey protein and Total Human, the all-in-one to live and perform at your best. Save 10% on ANY ORDER (except fitness equipment) with Coupon Code: disruptors