120. The Epic Battle Between Technologists and Naturalists Trying to Stop Climate Change | Charles Mann
Charles Mann (@CharlesCMann) is a science-focused journalist and award-winning author. He’s the author of 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus which won the National Academies Communication Award for best book of the year which he followed up with 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created. Charles has co-authored four books, is contributing editor for Science, The Atlantic Monthly, and Wired and has also written for Fortune, NYTimes, Smithsonian, Vanity Fair, and The Washington Post. He is a three-time National Magazine Award finalist and a recipient of writing awards from the American Bar Association, the American Institute of Physics, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and the Lannan Foundation. In 2018, Mann published The Wizard and the Prophet, which details two competing theories about the future of agriculture, population, and the environment.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590488″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Subscribe on Apple Podcast | Google Podcast | Android | Overcast | Spotify | Youtube
You can listen right here on iTunes
In today’s episode we discuss:
- The important distinctions between today’s wizards and prophets on the future
- What are the biggest risks of geoengineering
- Why the future of agriculture is inevitably GMOs, and why that’s a good thing
- How we can design a better, more 21st-century government
- Ways to change the incentives and structures governing society to automatically attack climate change
- The reason social media is a cesspool and what to do about it
- What are the biggest myths about the history of the Americas
- Thoughts on clean meat, mass agriculture and more…
- How do we handle growing inequality
- Why the West was never won
- The reason libertarianism and communism are two sides of the same coin
- Why there’s such a distrust of science to the detriment of all
- What is there to be hopeful about emissions and the environment
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
The Disruptors is supported by the generosity of its readers and listeners. If you find our work valuable, please consider supporting us on Patreon, via Paypal or with DonorBox powered by Stripe.
Superhuman Brain Nootropics
Daniel Schmachtenberger (prev on podcast) and the folks at Neurohacker are some of THE smartest biohackers on the planet, and their Qualia’s line of brain-enhancing nootropics make it obvious why. Get $15% off ANY order, or 50% OFF 1st order and 15% OFF ALL orders if you order a subscription with Coupon Code: DISRUPTORS. At Disruptors, we’re big on health and biohacking for a reason!