100. Why CRISPR is Overrated and Gene Drives are Terrifyingly Powerful | Gabriel Licina
Gabriel Licina (@glimsd) is a Molecular Biologist, Research Consultant, hardcore biohacker and the Chief Research Officer of Scihouse, a research-focused makerspace working to make science and technology accessible for everyone with a variety of classes on topics from programming and computer skills, to botany, chemistry, 3d printing and more.
In 2015 Gabriel chemically induced night vision in his eyes with a controversial, yet successful experiment and is very active in the self-DIY movement. He’s also been very involved in the ecology and sustainable development spaces, serving as Biologist in Residence at Exosphere HQ.
[spreaker type=player resource=”episode_id=18590572″ width=”100%” height=”200px” theme=”light” playlist=”false” playlist-continuous=”false” autoplay=”false” live-autoplay=”false” chapters-image=”true” episode-image-position=”right” hide-logo=”false” hide-likes=”false” hide-comments=”false” hide-sharing=”false” hide-download=”true”]
Today we discuss:
- Why CRISPR’s overhyped and still has a long way to go
- The reason genetic engineering is so hard and yet so promising
- Why Gabriel is hopeful, respectful and somewhat scared of gene drives
- Where we are headed with gene editing and designer babies
- How Gabriel and his team chemically induced night vision by studying deep-sea fish
- A CRISPR solution to climate change and why all the tech in the world may not be enough
- What Gabriel thinks about bioterrorism and its risks
- How venture capital pollutes hobbyists and innovation
- The problem with open-source biology and funding
- What the future of healthcare looks like and where the power will rest
- Why the FDA helps and hurts innovation and progress
- How biohackers drive biotech and health science
- The problem with the university route to fundamental science
The Best Performance Nootropics From The Smartest Biohackers
Daniel Schmachtenberger (prev on podcast) and the folks at Neurohacker are some of THE smartest biohackers on the planet, and their Qualia line of brain-enhancing nootropics make it obvious why. Get $15% off ANY order, or 50% OFF 1st order and 15% OFF ALL orders if you order a subscription with Coupon Code: DISRUPTORS At Disruptors, we’re big on health and biohacking for a reason!
Make a Donation to Support The Disruptors
Uplevel Your Meditation and Mind
Do you meditate? Muse is a neurofeedback (ie EEG based brain-sensing) device that helps meditators/anyone learn to control their mind and quiet the thoughts. The science is great, neurofeedback helps meditators achieve zen-level results in less time. I’m a big fan of meditation (as you know) and Muse is hooking listeners up with 15% OFF when they use our link